Friday, July 15, 2011

On the road again....

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.

After not traveling for work for over a year I am back at it once again. I don't mind the traveling - it's the flying that gets to me. (more on that in another post) But I bucked up, put on my big girl panties and headed off to....wait for it.........


Milwaukee.

The first thing I do when I go to any city is see what professional sports teams are playing while I am in town. Having never been to Milwaukee or even considered going before I had no idea what to expect. I was excited the Brewers were playing at home so I could at least catch a game.

Then I went to see the movie Bridesmaids and was then even more eager to go in the hopes of finding my own rugged police officer.

I won't keep you in suspense - it didn't happen.

But I did end up enjoying the city immensely. We had some of the best food that I've ever had there.

Mo's. A place for steaks.


One of the best filet mignon I have ever had.



Comet Cafe...


A recommendation from Guy Fieri on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives. The meatloaf and egg brunch item was so delicious. And so heavy.






We also ate at the Harbor House and the best thing was the view of this building, which is in the latest Transformers 3 movie. Here it is pictured wingless but it's still recognizable.



The game was not what I expected but only because mister hottie Ryan Braun was sick and didn't play. He obviously didn't get my message I posted on twitter that there was an empty seat next to me or else I'm sure he would have come and kept me company.






Another perk in Milwaukee -- one of my favorite authors spoke at the conference I was at. Jennifer Weiner. I didn't make it to her speech, which by the way I heard was hysterical. I told Jennifer I followed her on Twitter and she asked if I watched The Bachelor. I think she was disappointed that I don't watch it.


(Side note: I'm not sure what I'm doing with the head tilt/chin up pose but I did it in every pic I took on this trip.)

After Milwaukee we hit the road for my favorite city -- Chicago. Oh how I love this place.









(I want to live in those corn cob towers.)

We stayed out in the boonies (aka O'Hare airport) and were supposed to go to the Sox v. Cubs game. However we saw the weather was going to turn bad so we opted to go to dinner instead. And let me tell you, this place Carmine's was heaven. So good.



The best eggplant Parmesan.



Back at the hotel at the airport I'm sitting in my room reading and all of a sudden I hear an alarm going off and a voice comes over a loudspeaker saying to seek shelter immediately. To say I freaked is an understatement. I called my co-worker and asked if she was going downstairs and she laughed at me. Literally laughed at me. It was not funny to me. I've never heard a tornado siren before and I freaked. All was well though. The front desk assured me they would personally call me if I needed to vacate my room so I relaxed. The next day I did hear that there were a couple of tornados in our area that night.

On our last night I did have an accident. I accidentally dropped a metal tripod on my sandal wearing foot and nearly broke my toe. What's a girl to do? Take it to twitter. Folks helped me with advice and that got me through the airport nearly pain-free.

All is good. I'm back in the 100 degree heat and in the drought laden Texas.

No comments: