Sunday, September 11, 2011

We will always remember.....

On that life-changing date ten years ago I was actually home sleeping when the attacks happened. My life was so different back then. I was lucky that I had an amazing boss and was able to take off work for a year, only working two days a week from home, after my sister went back to work once she had my triplet niece and nephews.

On that Tuesday morning I was catching up on sleep at my mom's house when she came in to give me the phone from my boss's chief of staff. He was calling to tell me they were all ok at the US Capital in Washington, DC. I had no clue what he was talking about. He told me we were being attacked and to turn on the television.


(photo from www.september11news.com)


With that one statement, our lives would never be the same. I don't think anyone's life has ever been the same since that dreadful day.

After that call, my mother and I turned on the television and sat in utter silence watching it all unfold. When I saw those stunning and heartbreaking images on television I couldn't even grasp the seriousness of it all. I was in such shock.

Images of my own visit with my mom and aunt to New York city in May 1997 played through my head. We visited the World Trade Center on that trip and to this day I'm grateful we had that experience.

The main thought in my mind watching all this was to get to the kids and hold them tight. It was so hard to try and shield them from the news when all I could do was watch it on the screen and cry. I had to force myself not to watch it while they were up because at one-year old they had no idea of the horrendous act of violence we had just suffered. And I didn't want them to know of that kind of hate ever, much less at such a young age.

It's no longer possible to shield them from that kind of hatred or violence when everyday we see it on the news. But I can still hold them tight and tell them how much I love them. And I gladly do that every day I see them.

We will never forget....

No comments: