Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chicago - December '09

I won a Chicago Blackhawks and Meijer contest for a hockey 101 clinic, dinner and tix to the Blackhawks/Tampa Bay Lightening game. Since I love Chicago I decided to make a weekend of it and invited my friend Kelly to go to the clinic and game with me.

I flew in on Saturday morning and met Kelly downtown where we went to eat at Berghoff's. We had burgers and some of their famous rootbeer.





Then we went walking around Millennium Park and were able to see the ice skaters. There was a cute little future hockey player there. Too precious!





We went to the Chicago Pier because I had never been through there just drove by it once. That is probably better done during the summer. Saw some of the lights before my hip gave out and we went back to the hotel. After a short nap we went to have a late dinner at Miller's Pub which was really quaint and cozy.

Sunday was the big day. We went to the ESPN Zone for lunch and were surrounded by both Bear fans and Green Bay fans. Good food there too. Only bad thing was I lost one glove that belonged to a co-worker.

Then we went to see the window displays at Macy's. There was a couple at one of them that had just gotten engaged. The guy had Macy's put his proposal in the form of a letter to Santa in the window. Then he popped the question. Too cute. Everyone was oohing and awhing.

Then it was time to head to the United Center. We got there and they signed us in and then took us upstairs to a conference room. We boogied to the front row where our goodie bags were waiting for us. A cap, mug, bobblehead, puck and much more. SWEET! You know I love me a goodie bag!





Then the instructors came in. Eddie Olczyk who is the tv color analyst was one and then also Annie Camins, the Director of Youth Hockey was the other.

We got to ask questions and when it came my turn he asked me how I got into hockey and how did I hear from them that I won the contest. So I told him that I went to Chicago last October and went to my first hockey game. I fell in love with the sport and the team. Then I entered and won and couldn't believe it because I never win anything. He was impressed that we flew from TX just for this. So we had the clinic and leaned so much about the rules. It was great. Then they had a drawing for a hockey stick signed by all the players. When Eddie read off the numbers and he took his time saying the last one I screamed when he said 9. I was like "No frickin way!" When he had started to announce the numbers I said I can take it on the plane. But they offered to ship it for me.







We then all got pictures and autographs from Eddie. Then they took us in to dinner. Unbelievable. I was thinking hot dogs and chicken strips. Not for this first class organization. They served roast beef, turkey, chicken Marsala, fish, fettucine Alfredo, roasted potatoes, grilled veggies, salads and more. They also had a mean dessert bar -- cheesecake, lemon bars, brownies and so much more.

One of the employees asked if they could interview me since I won and came from TX. I know I looked like a fool and my eyes were probably popping out of my eyes from the excitement. I can't even remember what they asked but I remember telling them I wouldn't pass up a chance to see the Hawks or Patrick Sharp!

Next it was off to our seats. They were pretty good seats and everyone who was around us were contest winners so it was like a little family.





Jim Belushi threw down the first puck and Toews and Vinny Lecavalier (#4 hottie from TB Lightning) were the ones out there with him.

Some of the gals around us got text messages from family members that said we were on tv. Then they texted again and said they had mentioned us an said we had come from TX for the game. How cool is that!!?!
Thank you Eddie!

It was a great game (Hawks won 4-0) and fantastic day of events.

Thank you to the entire Chicago Blackhawks organization and to Meijer's for sponsoring the contest. It was unbelievable!

** Updated with pics from my Flickr account of the trip. **



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: