Monday, February 14, 2011

Tip of the day: Size does matter -- at least in URL's

I am not a lazy person, but I do not like to hit the shift key when I am typing if I don't need to. I've been known to type sentences with a small letter starting the sentence because the computer/iPhone/iPad didn't change it for me.

But all that changed when I typed in a shortened link (from ow.ly) and got something completely different than what I was expecting. I was looking for the cupcake recipe Paula Deen shared on Facebook. I mean, come on, it was a microwaveable cupcake that baked in around :90 seconds. what I got was a gentleman who talks about social media. Granted, I'm now following him on Twitter but the point is that he's not what I was looking for. And all because I typed in ow.ly/3twhg instead of ow.ly/3TWhG.

So the tip is: pay attention to capitalization for shortened links; or make sure you copy and paste from now on.

No comments: